Thursday, November 18, 2010

MY VISION: Free Computer Education For The Less Fortunate!!!

In a world of technology, where computers seem to be an integral part of our everyday lives, a person who has knowledge about computers would be at an edge. In other parts of the world, especially in 1st and 2nd world countries, children as young as 4 years old would be exposed to computers. You would see them clicking on the mouse, tapping on the keyboard, enriching their young minds playing educational games.

This is something we rarely see in the Philippines, especially in Zamboanga city, my homeland. Here, in the rural areas, you'd see children on the streets, scavenging in garbage piles, looking for plastic, tin cans, or anything that they could sell. Yes, we are a city where poverty reigns over the rich. And having that in perspective, it would be right to say that these children's parents could not afford to give them proper education, which only the rich and middle class could afford.

It was around the year 2002 when our class was asked by our English instructor to make a research paper about anything that would interest our minds. Instantly, I thought about "Free Computer Education for the Less Fortunate." At first, it was just something that I thought I would do simply for the sake of submitting my research paper. Which I did.

And now, 8 years later, I'm thinking of bringing this advocacy to reality. I have been a computer instructor for the past two years now, and I have been advocating the use of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) to my students, colleagues, friends, and families alike. Together with a prominent figure in the world of FOSS, we have successfully celebrated "Software Freedom Day" two years in a row. I believe that with the right people, and enough finance to back up my dream, this advocacy would become a reality.

I tried to run a little computer shop at home, charging a very minimal fee. It went on for about two years. The idea was to let kids experience first-hand what it's like to use a computer, how to use the internet, and develop their hand-and-eye coordination by playing educational computer games. But unfortunately, due to insufficient funds, the shop had to be scrapped.

The plan is:

  • 1.) To visit some of the rural areas in Zamboanga city
  • 2.) Bring with me a team of volunteers who are willing to share their knowledge in the name of charity
  • 3.) Convince parents to bring their children (even themselves) to attend a "Free Computer Training - The Very Basics of Computers "
  • This might include Office, Internet browsing, playing educational games, etc. (preferably Open Source Software...)
  • 4.) Set up camp (for atleast 1 day); complete with PC units, laptops, projectors or visual aids
  • 5.) Start teaching/tutoring the children (and their parents)...
  • 6.) and at the end of the day, be filled with a very contented and satisfied feeling of relief knowing that these kids will have an edge one day when they apply for work...
For now, this may seem impossible. But what is impossible? Impossible is nothing!

It may be a small step, but this small step may mean everything for the children I am trying to help. It is for their future, and with proper skills come great leaders!

I need volunteers to help me realize this dream!

Are you willing to become a part of my team?

No comments:

Post a Comment