Thursday, September 2, 2010

JEDI Phase 2: Software Engineering Training

I just came from a 3-day training called "JEDI Phase 2: Software Engineering Training" which was held at the DMC College Foundation in Dipolog city, Philippines from August 25 to 27, 2010. It was a long 8-hour ride from Zamboanga city via bus.

Ok, so I had to be in Dipolog a day before the training began. I would've taken the "night-bus", but due to heightened security, and rampant shooting incidents which usually occur at dawn, it was a better idea to take the "morning-bus". This way, the fugitives would be hiding in their shelters like vampires, and stay away from exposing themselves during a daytime ambush.

Anyway, so there I was. In Dipolog city on August 24, 2010. It was really "bad-timing" 'cause I had my sore-eyes (which was only 2-days old...). I had to wear shades throughout the training just to prevent the virus from spreading. And I really had a hard time talking nor sharing my ideas with my fellow participants, cause I feared that by doing that, it would increase the chance of spreading the virus. So I just sat there, away from them all, trying so hard to look through my dark shades and read what was projected and what was written on the white board.

Our speaker, Ma'am Grace Sojor of Comtech Zamboanga, began by giving us an overview of the topic, which was Software Engineering. Which was a good thing because I am teaching this subject this semester. Anyway, she gave us copies of the lectures. She had to make sure all of us had a copy of the files so as not to be left out during the discussions.

I was surprised when she asked us to open Netbeans 6.9.1 and started giving us this Java Programming exercises. To tell you frankly, I am more familiar with the VB environment, just like much of the participants. I was a little familiar with Java, but I had no experience with Netbeans. Now I was trying to figure out, "How can I do Java in Netbeans?"

Luckily, she gave us copies for the calculator code. Then she asked us to create the design of the calculator using JFrame. Yeap. I had to figure out by myself where to place each line of code, specifically! A few minutes have passed and atlast, my curiosity for Java and Netbeans began to stir. I thought of coming up with a simple program, which was very common in VB, but this time I had to do it in Java. So I did. I came up with a simple program which will automatically calculate/compute for a monthly payment scheme similar to a Loan, based on a given basic salary.

It took me HOURS to be able to reach my goal! But then I felt so satisfied when I was able to execute the program without any errors!!! woohoo! Then that's when I thought "This isn't really hard, as long as you know the basics..."

Anyway, having done all that, I was actually left behind from the discussion.

Our trainer had actually already introduced a diagramming technique which is very useful in Software Development. She introduced us to the Unified Modeling Language or UML. It's pretty cool, cause obviously, before any actual "hard-coding" in systems development, developers have to be able to come up with a modeling tool which will enable them to give a "birds-eye-view" to the programmer, and the clients about the system that is being developed. There are actually different types of diagrams you could choose from. One of which kind of gave me a "heads-up!"
The Class Diagramming Tool was great! It gives you an option to automatically generate the "back-bone" structure of your code! It's very helpful especially when it comes to the Reverse Engineering of the system in the future.

Anyway, the entire 3-day training was filled with new information, it's like a feeding-frenzy of ideas! And I am very thankful that I was given the chance to attend a training just like this. Another 8-hour ride, and I was home...

Well, below are some of the pictures from the event... enjoy!

Next stop... JPCS Leadership Workshop Training and Youth for IT Congress in MANILA!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment